Wednesday, September 07, 2011

The Smiths, Divine Comedy and Sir Viv Richards

What links The Smiths, Divine Comedy and Sir Viv Richards?

Tonight I'm off to Lancashire County Cricket Club's Old Trafford home for a Sportsman's Dinner. Sir Viv Richards, one of the greatest ever cricketers is the guest speaker and proceeds go to the LCC Youth Development Section to support the next generation of young world class Lancastrian cricketers.

In 2002 I was at Old Trafford, the home of Lancashire County Cricket Club to see David Bowie. Supporting Bowie that day were Suede and Divine Comedy.

In 2004 I saw Morrissey doing one of his legendary performances at Old Trafford. Half a mile from where he grew up on King's Road, and slap bang next to what is now a B&Q. When Morrissey and I were kids the B&Q was the Hardrock/Village, an interchangeable disco/concert venue.

So linking my bash tonight at Old Trafford with The Smiths and Divine Comedy is the following Divine Comedy cover version of a classic Smiths song. Hope you like it Sean but I'm not holding my breath!

No comments: