Thursday, April 10, 2008

The United Nations

For a very long time I have believed that the United Nations is a sham, its existence seems to be solely to give assorted tyrants and unsavoury Third World despots the chance to lord it over the Western democracies, with special venom reserved for Israel.

This article from the Spectator very nicely proves the point. It's about time the whole thing was ripped apart and consideration given to John McCain's suggestion of a League of Democracies. However, I suspect any new organisation would end up just as corrupt and undemocratic as other supranational bodies, such as the EU, so would favour loose alliances as and when we feel they would benefit us.

Who knows, if the Spectator carries on with a line like this, I may even renew my subscription, cancelled after the Cameron grovelling current editor, Matthew d'Ancona took control.

4 comments:

Sutan Pendak said...

If the USA left the United Nations it would collapse from lack of funding.

On the subject of The Spectator, I'm letting my subscription expire. It's gone downhill since Boris left, and Rod Liddle and Irwin Stelzer's columns alone cant drag me back, plus the price is extortionate.

Gregg said...

You would do right there T Bishop, I now get my Rod Liddle fix in the Sunday Times.

Mark Wadsworth said...

The UN has become a joke over the last decade. Time to leave, methinks.

Vindico said...

I used to get The Business, the best magazine in the UK, but then that was cancelled and my remaining subscription was filled up with the Spectator. I have not renewed as I find the Spectator to be mainly full of drivel, and the couple of good articles don't justify the fee!