Tuesday, February 12, 2008

The Mosquito



Barbera Woodhouse-Minister for Children
Ed Balls-Dog Trainer



Here is an interesting article about something called a Mosquito. I find this quite disturbing but for different reasons than Shami Chakrabati of Liberty does. Mosquito is a device, of which over 3,000 are currently in use in the UK, that emits a high pitched tone that can be picked up only by those under 20. It is called a 'dispersal device'.

Now as far as I know it isn't yet April 1st, but I did have to check my diary when I heard about this on the radio this morning. I don't have the huge downer on young people that too many people in Britain seem to have. By and large I find them pleasant, polite and very civilised. Yes some push their luck a bit but didn't we all when growing up? Yes some are mad, sad or downright bad, but that applies to people in every generation.

Where there are problems with unruly youths we need to get the police working properly and, further than that, we need to get to the root of problems with antisocial behaviour, not use indiscriminate 'dispersal devices' that just move the problem to another area. And I would be pretty upset if I was under 20 and received a blast of high pitched screaming in my ears aimed at unruly youths around the corner.

The last time I heard of anything like this the devices were used for dog training by Barbera Woodhouse. Seems that in New Labour's Britain dogs and kids are equal, or worse the same.

No comments: