Thursday, May 17, 2012

Finders Keepers, Losers Weepers?

On Tuesday I went to the cash machine in Carnforth. I had a lot of things on my mind and was admittedly a little distracted. I left the cash machine and dashed off on my next errand. Then I left to do my next errand and it was then that I realised I had taken my card from the cash machine but left the cash. What a plonker!

There was a huge queue inside the bank and I had an urgent appointment to get to so dashed off thinking I could kiss the money goodbye. When I got home I rang the bank and, after a lot of mithering on a complex 'press this option blah blah blah' system (35 minutes actually), I eventually got through to a very helpful person in their Carnforth branch. They explained the procedure for these situations and I left them my number.

Yesterday morning I got a phone call from the bank telling me that my cash had been handed in and I could call into the branch and collect it.

It's easy to become cynical about people, and the world in which we live, but that little episode has really helped to restore my faith in human nature. A great big thank you to the honest person who handed in my cash and, assuming he/she doesn't read this blog, a note of thanks is on its way via the bank who have promised to forward it for me.

3 comments:

Daz Pearce said...

Brilliant stuff and god bless whoever it was who handed that cash in. Times are tight and it must be so easy to trouser it.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to be cynical, but:

If they didn't hand it in, then all the bank has to do is to find out who used the cash machine after you. Most ATMs also have CCTV, which might not identify someone but would show if the next user took the cash or if some random chav saw it while walking past. The person who handed it in probably knew this.

Gregg said...

Cynical and very sad. Anybody passing by could have taken it, not just the next user. So your cynicism is misplaced there.

CCTV would not have shown the face of the person at all, I happen to know that bank very well, and they do not even bother checking CCTV unless a serious crime has been committed.

Thankfully for every person like you Anonymous there are thousands of people with good hearts who don't just do a good turn because otherwise they may get caught.

How very sad you are.