Saturday, July 24, 2010

Britain is Finished

I've been away on a course for most of this week and it has felt a bit like living in a bubble, or a parallel universe. But sometimes the real world comes crashing in like a nightmare.

Another participant on the course told us the tale of his 18 year old niece on election day, May 6th. He saw her in the evening and she was really angry about the cock up at her polling station. He assumed they had run out of ballot papers or something, as had begun being reported from elsewhere. But no, she was angry and had refused to vote because Nick Clegg, who she had liked in the TV debates, had been left off her ballot paper.

Like other participants I wondered what the had happened to our education system. Maybe, if I had children of school age, I would have to send them to private schools. I've never rated the compreensive system and this just proved my point, yet again.

Then I came blinking back into the daylight of the real world and lo, our glorious leader, Eton and Oxford educated, had opened his mouth and proved himself to be as thick as the girl above. We were junior partners to the Yanks in 1940? God help us.

So my conclusion is that if I had children of school age I would have emigrated by now. In fact with a useless prat like Cameron in charge, and a colourless gimp like Nick Clegg as Deputy Prime Minister, emigration is probably adviseable anyway.

8 comments:

Junius said...

What would Alfred the Great and Nelson say?

Our Nation has been dragged into the gutter.

But can she still be saved?

Gregg said...

That's the big question isn't it? To be honest I'm not sure it can be saved, or even deserves to be!

MikeP said...

One step ahead of you Gregg! Just dusting off the sun cream ;-)

Gregg said...

If you're looking for a houseboy.....

Steve Allison said...

I did send my kids private Greg, against my principles, but the local "Community College" was just somewhere to dump the kids until they were old enough to go on benefits or in the case of the girls start shelling out kids! I also looked at getting out of the UK. We had all the paperwork ready to go to Canada but decided to stay in the UK on the basis that it wasn't quite finished yet. That was 18 years ago and things have got considerably worse since then! I'm too old to emigrate now, nowhere wants you when you are my age, but I do have enough to sell up and retire to somewhere warm, the only problem is WHERE? Is anywhere any better? In the dying days of the Roman Empire where could a citizen have gone to escape the collapse?

Gregg said...

If I had kids they'd be, or would have been, privately educated. After all, we have Soneyhurst up the road from us, a good Jesuit college.

Perhaps when young we are full of hope and belief, now we are just cynical old farts.

Good luck in the NEC election!

Anonymous said...

you love to reminisce don't you..

Gregg said...

I would hardly call that reminiscing. It was stating the obvious, the state education system is crap, private education is far better.

Perhaps you should look up reminisce in a dictionary.