Saturday, April 04, 2009

Police State-Update




The Orwellian police state being built by New Labour continues apace. The key to a police state is to make the populace feel threatened then portray the state as the great protector. In Nazi Germany it was the Jews, in the UK 2009 it is Islamic terrorists.

I saw the poster above, about CCTV cameras, on a hoarding when I was working in Halifax this week. While tracking the image down on the internet I found the image about life threatening wheelie bins too. Do the state really believe that sensible people take these propoganda exercises seriously? I was with a coachload of ordinary, honest fellas in Halifax whose politics I am clueless about, and virtually every one of us found the advert absurd if not hilarious but sinister too.

I've said it before, and will say it again, many of us are more scared of our government than we are of Al Qaeda, and I think I spelt Qaeda right this time!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're spot on Gregg.

As we've seen in the past week, if the needs justify their ends then that is the way it is going to be.

Just don't get sucked into the version of a Bill of Rights that a certain Jack Straw wants.

We are playing good cop, bad cop here. Don't buy into it.

Gregg said...

And like East Germany they are getting the populace to spy on each other. Rather than a Bill of Rights we need to scrap whole swathes of legislation preferably, as Sean Gabb suggests, all legislation since about 1963.