Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Proud to be a Roman Catholic

I read yesterday's Telegraph very late and there was this superb article by Cristina Odone. Any article that begins with an attack on the hariden that is the Guardian's Polly Toynbee has to be good.

The gist of the piece is that freedom to practice christianity in this country is slowly being eroded, and the Coalition are doing nothing after Dave abandoned his promise to scrap the Human Rights Act. Furthermore, all over the world christians are being persecuted and murdered and nobody bats an eyelid. The third strand of her piece that so impressed me was how humourless the militant secularists are.

I could imagine nothing worse than having Toynbee and Dawkins round for dinner, truly the new Puritans. Whenever they, or Tatchell and others, appear with their obsessive anti-christianity, I am struck by their lack of humility, their complete lack of tolerance and their downright nastiness. If my parish priest hectored and bullied the way these people do, I would look for another church.

There was a campaign launched a few months ago called Not Ashamed. I think having such a defensive name was a big mistake. Proud to be Christian would have been a much more positive name for a campaign of that kind.

No comments: