Wednesday, December 01, 2010

Interfering Busybodies

Every now and then a campaign pops up and I can't help but wonder what perfect lives some people have if they think what they are campaigning for/against is the biggest problem facing the world. Alternatively I wonder why people have to campaign against people doing what they want to do, such as smoking. If people don't smoke fair enough, but why do they become so obsessed by people who do that they waste hours, days, weeks, months, years of their lives campaigning against it?

One such organisation I came across this week was Close the Door. It's a campaign started by a group of bored housewives in Cambridge who want to save the environment by getting businesses to stop leaving their doors open. At first I had to check it wasn't April 1st.

Don't get me wrong, I admire people who campaign for things they feel strongly about, but there are far worse things in the world than a shop leaving its front doors open to entice customers in.  In fact if Mrs B came home frothing with rage, red of face and with steam coming from her ears and I discovered that her fury had been unleashed by the sight of an open shop door, I would be seriously worried about her mental state. In fact I'd tranquilize her with a few shots of Bacardi and Coke then, when suitably sedated, would whip her off to the nearest mental health unit for an assessment.

4 comments:

Brew Wales said...

I thought this was a wind up until I visited their website. Truly bonkers, especially during this period of global warming we are currently experiencing.

Gregg said...

Of course, it had to be on the BBC, who were interviewing one of the founders in an oh so serious manner.

e.f. bartlam said...

I've got a phone charger in my bag that I think I'll plug into the wall here just for the h*** of it...maybe turn the radio on that I can't listen to...just to have it running. What else can I get runnin'....

WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE???

Gregg said...

A bunch of obsessives I fear. I'm going to highlight nutters like these in a regular feature.