Thursday, July 30, 2009

Hypocrites (Part 2)

Hypocrisy [hi-pok-ruh-see]
A pretence of having a virtuous character, moral or religious beliefs or principles, etc., that one does not really possess.

Hypocrisy has always riled me, it must be one of the most unpleasant human traits. I would much rather somebody be brutally honest than hypocritical. There was an excellent example of crass hypocrisy this week.

My wife was out and about in Lancaster and bumped into an old friend of mine. We lost touch about 10 months or so ago, as people do. We are all guilty I suspect, of losing touch with people at some time or other. It happens and that's life, the longer you have not been in contact the more difficult making contact somehow becomes.

But this particular person gushed and smarmed and declared how he had 'tried to contact me a couple of times' blah-blah-blah. For God's sake, people lose touch! Accept it but don't bullshit, especially in this day and age. What does 'tried to make contact' mean? He has my landline number, my mobile number, my email address. He is an hour away by car if there is some kind of mega communication breakdown. But I know he is not the kind of person to fail a simple task like contacting somebody.

He hadn't bothered to try and contact me and I hadn't him either, that's life. Just admit it, there's no shame. Or just don't mention it, but please don't bullshit that really is crass hypocrisy.

OK, in the scheme of things it isn't up there with mass murder, rape or animal buggery. But it says a helluva lot about the culprit's character.

By contrast an old mate, who I lost touch with after a disagreement three or more years ago, turned up on our doorstep last week. We had a pint and he apologised for his part in the falling out and I apologised for my part, it was actually a 50:50 thing, silly misunderstandings that we both overreacted to. But neither of us bullshitted, meaning neither of us was hypocritical, and we are good buddies again, thankfully. The hypocrite on the other hand, can piss right off, and we haven't fallen out.

I've no doubt we all do things in our lives that are, or appear, hypocritical at some time, but we try not to. However, there are people who seem to think hypocrisy is a valid tactic in the field of human interaction. They are the ones I despise.

No comments: